What is Breast Cancer?
Breast cancer is the development of abnormal cells in the breast. They begin to grow out of control and produce more cells that grow into tumors, or growths. When breast cancer expands, cancer cells are frequently formed in the underarm lymph nodes (axillary lymph nodes). Breast cancer cells can expand from the breast to nearly any other part of the body, like the lungs, bones, liver, or brain.
Why some women are likely to have breast cancer than rest?
Breast cancer can occur at any age but is more likely to occur after age 40. Certain factors may cause some women to have a greater chance of having breast cancer than other women. Those factors include:
• A personal history of breast cancer
• Two or more relatives with breast or ovarian cancer
• Member (mother, sister, grandmother, or aunt) on either side of the family with breast cancer before age 50
• A dear male relative with breast cancer
• Inherited changes in breast cancer-related genes (called BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes)
• Previous radiation to the chest area
Some factors may increase the chance of breast cancer by only a small amount, such as:
• Older age
• Starting your menstrual period at an early age
• Going through menopause at a late age
• Having no children
• Having your first pregnancy after age 30
• Not breastfeeding
• Taking postmenopausal hormone replacement therapy
• Gaining weight
• Lack of exercise
• Drinking alcohol (even in small to moderate amounts)
Breast Cancer Treatment in Dubai
Breast cancer treatment in Dubai depends on many factors including stage, age, overall health, and personal preferences. If someone is diagnosed with cancer, one will get a bunch of alternatives for breast cancer medical care in the Dubai-based HMS Mirdif Cancer Center.
People suffering from breast cancer often get more than one kind of treatment.
- Radiation Therapy: It is a breast cancer treatment in Dubai which done after surgery to avoid the recurrence of cancer cells. Using X-rays (high-energy rays) to kill the cancer cells. Rapidly growing cells, such as cancer cells, are more prone to the effects of radiation therapy as compared to normal cells.
It has two types
Radiation therapy is given in two ways:
1. Internal radiation: After the surgery of the tumor, in which the tumor is removed, then the doctor temporarily
places a radiation-delivery device in your breast near the tumor site.
2. External radiation: In this case, a machine gives or delivers radiation from outside the body to the breast. It
is the most common type of therapy.
Radiation therapy is the most common breast cancer treatment in Dubai and is used in almost every stage of cancer or it can be used to treat cancer at almost every stage.
The risk or side effects of radiation therapy
Side effects may depend upon the type of treatment. Some of the common side effects of radiation therapy are:-
• Changes in skin sensation
• Swelling of breast
• Itchiness in skin
• Swelling of arm
- Chemotherapy: Special medicines are used to kill or shrink the cancer cells. Chemotherapy for breast cancer treatment in Dubai can increase the chance of cure and also decrease the chances of returning cancer cells.
Chemotherapy treatment after surgery for early breast cancer
Adjuvant chemotherapy: After the surgery to remove the tumor from the breast, the doctor recommends chemotherapy to kill the cancer cells that remained untouched during surgery and hence reduce the chance of cancer repetition.
Mainly surgeon recommends this therapy if the chances of recurring cancer are high or the chances of spreading cancer to other body parts are high.
Chemotherapy treatment before surgery for early breast cancer.
It is given to shrink the large tumors. This treatment is given to cure triple-negative breast cancer, high-grade tumors, large tumors, and cancers that have reached lymph nodes.
• Heart damage
• Mouth sores
• Nerve damage
• Hair loss
• Problem in concentrating
- Hormonal therapy: It is a breast cancer treatment in Dubai that blocks the supply of hormones that a cancer cell needs to grow. It is also known as endocrine therapy, this treatment blocks the effect of estrogen. If the hormone receptors are not found in the patient then hormonal therapy is not given to him/her. This therapy is given to reduce the chance of risk of recurring cancer.
Hormone therapy before surgery
Hormone therapy before surgery is given when surgery is not a choice.
Hormone therapy after surgery
Hormone therapy after the surgery is given to reduce the risk of breast cancer recurring. It also reduces the risk of developing new cancer cells.
Drugs that are used for hormone therapy
Drugs that are used to reduce breast cancer are- Raloxifene, anastrozole, and tamoxifen.
Risk factors or side-effects of hormone therapy
• Mood swings
• Dryness in vagina
• Night sweats
• Hot flushes
- Surgery: It is a breast cancer treatment in Dubai in which, the doctor or surgeon cuts out the cancer tissue.
Types of Surgery
Removing the cancer area
In this surgery, the surgeon removes away the cancer cells and their nearby cells, and only healthy breast tissue is left
behind. It is termed a Lumpectomy.
Removing the whole breast
In some cases, the surgeon suggests removing the whole breast because the cancer cells have spread to the whole
breast. It is termed a Mastectomy.
Removing the lymph nodes
The lymph nodes filter out bacteria and damaged cells from the lymphatic fluid, and it has cells that fight
infection. It is termed a Lymph Node Dissection.
The lymph node is only removed when the cancer cells have entered the lymph nodes.
Risk factors or Side-effects of surgery
• Stiffness in shoulder
• Change in the sensation of the arm or breast
• Fatigue, but for a short period
Breast Cancer Treatment Hospital in Dubai
Being one of the best breast cancer treatment hospitals in Dubai and across the world, HMS Mirdif has a team of specialists including surgeons, radiation oncologists, medical oncologists, plastic surgeons, nutritionists, and other health professionals. After your diagnosis, it is important to discuss your treatment options with doctors and possible side effects to make a better decision.
Our breast cancer team at HMS Mirdif provides complete care during the patient’s progress, from breast cancer screening and diagnosis to the growth and application of progressive medical care plans to improvement and survivorship.
In the beginning stages, it’s too small to find by touching the breast. As it grows larger it feels like a lump or thickening. Remember: Most breast lumps are not cancer. There’s only one way to know for sure. See Dr. Humaa Darr at our breast cancer treatment hospital in Dubai about any changes in your breasts. Breast cancer can occur anywhere in the breast. However, we have advanced technology at our hospital and experience in breast cancer treatment in Dubai to help you beat cancer.